Let’s face it – image is quite important, and you’re constantly being judged based on yours. Furthermore, when you meet a person for the first time, his or her eyes naturally go to your teeth. This is validated by a recent study that reveals that over 30 percent of North Americans say the first thing they notice about a person is his or her smile. So if you’ve got gapped, misaligned, crooked or crowded ivories, it’s understandable if you or your teenager feels a little insecure. You know there’s a way to correct your flaws with traditional orthodontics, but you’re not thrilled at the idea of having metal protrude from your mouth. Thankfully, there’s an alternative with Invisalign in Scarborough.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign braces are clear trays that are crafted from BPA-free clear, plastic. The process of getting your own custom aligners is as follows:
- You will first visit your dentist in Scarborough for a consultation. While there, he will determine whether you or your teenager is a good fit for the procedure.
- If everything checks out to give the process a green light, your dentist will then take a series of X-Rays and 3D images, along with a bite impression.
- Next, your measurements will be sent off to a trusted lab to fabricate your new Invisalign clear braces.
- You’ll return to the office to retrieve the full set, with instructions to wear each one for about two weeks before discarding. This is the pattern that you’ll follow throughout the treatment process.
Why is Invisalign the Better Option for Adults and Teenagers?
There are several advantages to the Invisalign process that make them very attractive, including:
- They allow you or your teenager to maintain your dignity throughout the process. There are no chunky metal pieces that protrude from your mouth or wires that wave hello to the world.
- The trays are clear, so it’ll be hard to tell that you’re wearing anything.
- Your clear aligners will also allow you to maintain excellent oral hygiene, since they can be removed for up to two hours per day. That means that you can brush and floss as normal.
- Don’t worry about skipping out on your favorite foods because with Invisalign trays, there are no restrictions placed on you.
- Finally, whereas traditional braces will usually require at least a 24-month process, the time to correct your smile can be from 12 to 18 months when wearing Invisalign trays.
Now that you know that there’s a better way to get the smile of your dreams, nothing is stopping you! Reach out to your cosmetic dentist in Scarborough today to schedule an initial consultation.
About the Author
A graduate of Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Dr. Gus Bal has been providing comprehensive and compassionate care for over 20 years. Still, he remains just as passionate today as he did when he first began practicing, which is why he has continued to learn more through continuing education courses. Dr. Bal practices at Bal Dental Centre and can be reached for more information through his website.