You’ve heard of spring cleaning, but what about summer transformation? Making bold moves this time of year is a great way to re-energize yourself for the fall and winter. If you are looking into ways to dramatically improve your overall look, check into porcelain veneers. These thin coverings enhance the front teeth for a more confident, beautiful smile. Keep reading to learn more about the veneer process and whether or not you may be a candidate.
How Veneers Work
Porcelain veneers work by completely covering up minor imperfections affecting the front teeth. Thin coverings made from high-quality, customizable porcelain, they are a wonderful option for teeth that are healthy but have cosmetic flaws, including:
- Stains that cannot be lifted with teeth whitening
- Slight gaps between teeth
- Misshapen teeth (appearing too small or pointy)
- Oddly textured teeth
- Chipped teeth
The Veneer Process
Once you and your dentist have determined that veneers are right for your smile, they will be placed over the course of 2 to 4 weeks. You can count on the following steps to occur during the course of the treatment:
- Planning: First, you and your cosmetic dentist will discuss what exactly you want and need from porcelain veneers. This includes which teeth will be treated, how white the finished product will be, and more. Everyone has different preferences and conceptions of the word “beauty”, so good communication between you and your dentist is key.
- Trial veneers: Your dentist may set you up with trial veneers to give you a sneak peek of what the finished product will look like. This step helps you determine what it is you are actually looking for with your veneers.
- Preparation: Once a treatment plan is put in place, your dentist will prepare the teeth. A thin layer of tooth enamel must be removed before veneers can be placed – otherwise they would look bulky and/or unnatural in the smile. Sedation is available for your complete comfort. Temporary veneers are then placed on top of the prepared teeth.
- Laboratory: After your teeth have been prepared for the veneers, your dental team will make a mold or impression of the area and send it to the laboratory. Here, trained technicians will create your veneers just for you using high-quality porcelain and following the specifications in your treatment plan exactly.
- Final application: Once the veneers have arrived back at the office, you will return for placement. This is the most exciting step! Your cosmetic dentist will remove the temporaries and carefully bond each veneer onto the prepared tooth. Before you know it, you’ll be getting the first look at your new smile!
Are Veneers Right for You?
If you are interested in getting porcelain veneers, the good news is that most people are excellent candidates for this treatment. Contact your cosmetic dentist to find out for sure. If the answer is yes, get started right away and be enjoying your amazing results in time for your upcoming fall festivities!
Meet the Dentist
Dr. Gus Bal has been chosen as the Best Dentist in Scarborough 4 years in a row, and he continues to be the choice for families in our area. Fundamental to Dr. Bal’s approach is listening to his patients’ wants and needs – and this method applies to people needing anything from extensive tooth replacement to transforming smiles with porcelain veneers. To learn more about your options in cosmetic dentistry or to schedule an appointment, contact Bal Dental Centre at 416-267-6789.