A beautiful smile is priceless, but few people have perfect teeth naturally. Cosmetic dentistry can revamp your pearly whites to give you a picture-perfect smile, but is it safe? Most people with healthy mouths are candidates for elective dental services. However, there are a few things you should know before moving forward.
Candidates for Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry is safe and has little risk of complications, but not everyone is a candidate. You’ll require a consultation with a cosmetic dentist, who will examine your mouth to look for anything concerning. You must have healthy teeth and gums before any elective treatment because it can cover up the problem. It’s not unusual to require a little prep work, like a dental cleaning, filling, or gum disease treatment.
Your dentist will also learn more about your medical history and any medications you’re taking. If you have any pre-existing conditions, you can still be a candidate for elective treatments. Your cosmetic dentist will create a personalized plan to enhance your smile safely.
Popular Cosmetic Dental Procedures
There are more options than ever before to address common aesthetic flaws. Your dentist will review which procedures are right for you, which may include:
- Porcelain Veneers: Bonding veneers to the front sides of your teeth corrects many issues using a minimally invasive procedure. After 2 appointments, you can have a dazzling smile that can last for 10 years or more.
- Lumineers: Lumineers offer many of the same benefits as veneers, but they don’t require enamel removal. You’ll enjoy lasting results using a reversible method.
- Dental Bonding: A composite resin is shaded to the color of your enamel to blend in with your tooth when used to fix minor imperfections. It provides quick results using an affordable solution that looks natural.
- Teeth Whitening: Your teeth can get up to 8 shades whiter using a professional whitening treatment. Your results can last for many months or years with the right aftercare, like brushing and flossing.
- Gum Recontouring: A soft tissue laser can reveal more of your teeth surfaces to resolve a gummy smile. It can also treat a gum line that’s been damaged by infection or injury.
- Orthodontics: Braces or clear aligners can fix bite and alignment issues for a straight, healthy smile.
An attractive smile is associated with youth, confidence, and success. It’s never too late to invest in a healthy, beautiful smile. Your cosmetic dentist will help you reach your goals using safe, effective solutions.
About Dr. Gus Bal
Dr. Bal is an award-winning dentist in Scarborough. He achieved his dental degree from the University Goldman School of Dental Medicine and has regularly continued his education in various specialties, including dental implants, cosmetic dentistry, and dental sedation. Request an appointment through his website or call (647) 559-2192 to see if cosmetic dentistry is right for you.