Implant-Retained Dentures – Scarborough, Ontario
Dentures That Feel More Like Your Own Teeth
With the collective experience of our four dentists at Bal Dental Centre, we’ve helped thousands of patients restore their smiles after tooth loss. And while we know that traditional dentures in Scarborough are a great solution, we’ve found that dental implants can make them even better. With implant-retained dentures, you’ll enjoy countless benefits and experience superior fit and function that just wasn’t possible before. If you’d like to get the most out of your dentures, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We’d love to help your new smile feel more like your own!
How Do Implant-Retained Dentures Work?
Implant-retained dentures are quite similar to traditional dentures but have one key difference: They include attachments in the base that attach to dental implants. Instead of resting on top of the gums and being adhered by denture adhesive and natural suction, implant dentures are held in place by implants. These titanium posts are placed in the jaw and act as the roots of your missing teeth (typically, just 2-8 implants are needed per arch).
There are different types of implant-retained dentures. A fixed implant denture is “fixed” in place and can only be removed by one of our dentists in Scarborough. A removable implant denture “snaps” onto your implants so you can remove it at home. We’ll evaluate your needs during your consultation before making the best recommendation for you.
Am I a Candidate For Implant-Retained Dentures?
To make sure this procedure is right for you, we’ll look at several factors such as:
- Your oral hygiene habits and gum health
- Your medical and dental history
- Tobacco use (smoking decreases the chances that implants will be successful)
- We’ll also take detailed images of your jaws to make sure you have enough bone mass and density to support implants. If not, we may need to discuss procedures like bone grafting beforehand.
The Implant-Retained Dentures Procedure
After we’ve made sure that an implant denture is right for you, we’ll create a treatment plan and determine how many dental implants you need. Then we’ll perform an in-office surgery to place them in your jaw. Since we have advanced training and equipment, we can handle this part of the process right here so you can stay with a team you know and trust.
Then we’ll make a temporary denture that you can use for the next 2-6 months while your implants fuse with the surrounding jawbone (this process is called osseointegration). Lastly, we’ll create your new permanent denture and place adaptors on your implants that will attach to it.
Benefits Of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Dental implants in Scarborough will make your dentures feel very different, in a good way! Here are just some of the benefits you’ll enjoy:
- A much better fit and feel
- You’ll have more confidence because you won’t have to worry about “slips” during meals or conversations
- Your jawbone will be preserved to help maintain your facial structure
- You’ll need far fewer adjustments and the need for dental adhesive will be greatly minimized or eliminated altogether
- Your dentures will last longer (and your implants themselves can last 30 years or more)